Everyone loves their doctor. Everyone loves the nurse that assists a loved one during a hospital stay. Everyone loves the therapist that helps in recovery from an injury. We love these individuals because they help us in our time of need.

At times, doctors, nurses, and therapists make mistakes and these mistakes (medical malpractice) can lead to life-altering injuries.   These mistakes can give rise to a medical malpractice claim, under certain circumstances.

Medical malpractice occurs when a medical provider fails to meet the applicable “standard of care.”  In general, the “standard of care” is defined as reasonable and appropriate care under the circumstances. Determining if a medical provider failed to meet the “standard of care” requires an experienced attorney to evaluate the facts and consult with experts.  It is critical to seek counsel from an attorney that has both the legal and medical knowledge/experience in evaluating and processing medical malpractice claims.

These cases are emotionally and physically taxing for all the participants, which is why it is important to retain an attorney that is not just committed to processing your claim, but also counseling you through the inevitable ups and downs associated with medical malpractice cases.  Your attorney needs to be committed to aggressively pursuing your claim, while also patiently and delicately dealing with the negative emotions one inevitably experiences during the case.

Medical providers are here to help; however, sometimes mistakes are made and these mistakes can have grave consequences.  If you believe you or a loved one has been injured as a result of a medical provider’s negligence/malpractice, you owe it to yourself or your loved one to seek legal advice to have the potential claim evaluated.


This blog should be used for informational purposes only. It does not create an attorney-client relationship with any reader and should not be construed as legal advice. If you have any questions, call 480.461.5300, log on to udallshumway.com, or contact an attorney in your area.