Here is what you need to know about temporary work visas. A work visa is a broad term that applies to several different types of specific visas in the United States, such as H’s, J’s or even M’s, to name just a few.  They allows individuals to come and work in the United States.  They are required because citizens of foreign countries are not allowed to live or work in the United States without permission, either through a work visa or permanent residency.

In order to obtain a work visa, you typically need an employer willing to sponsor you for a specific job, and for a specific fixed period of time.  The employer then typically files a petition first with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, and once approved, you are able to get your work visa placed in your passport by a U.S. Consulate or Embassy and then come to the United States and begin work.

As with so many things involving immigration in the United States, there is not a single type of work visa that you can apply for, but many, many different types and classifications.  Each type and classification has its own set of rules, procedures and limitations, so it always best to first speak with an experienced immigration attorney before you make any With several different visa options, having an Arizona immigration attorney point you in the right direction can be vital.

When it comes to work visas, the options are not endless, but it may seem so.  They cover teachers, professors,  doctors, lawyers, librarians, engineers, software developers, farm workers, entertainers, artists, team athletes, participants in international cultural exchange programs, and the list goes on and on. As you can see, immigrating to the United States can be quite complex and confusing if you are not familiar with the processes and guidelines at play in the United States, or how they impact your residence and status in another country. There is no doubt that the process is confusing for someone coming to the United States, but it is confusing for an employer who is not that familiar with how a temporary work visas operate, or how they must be obtained.

This is why anytime that you plan to hire a foreign employee, or move to the United States for a temporary period of time, you should consult with an Arizona immigration attorney. The process for filing a visa application or petition should be started well in advance of when you intend to travel to the United States, as processing delays are the norm, and always take longer than expected when working with the U.S. gobernement. Make sure to educate yourself of the process and expectations you should have by speaking with an Arizona immigration attorney today.


This blog should be used for informational purposes only. It does not create an attorney-client relationship with any reader and should not be construed as legal advice. If you need legal advice regarding What You Need to Know About Temporary Work Visas, or other immigration matters , please feel free to contact Matthew L. White at  480.461.5304, log on to,  or contact an attorney in your area. Udall Shumway PLC is located in Mesa, Arizona and is a full service law firm. We assist Individuals, families, businesses, schools and municipalities in Mesa and the Phoenix/East Valley.