What are the steps to get a K-1 Fiancé Visa? A K-1 visa, frequently referred to as a fiancé visa, is a temporary visa given to the fiancé of a U.S. citizen in order to enter the United States for the purposes of getting married. Once married, the foreign born person can attempt to get lawful permanent status using the process known as adjustment of status. Leaving the United States for the mandatory green card interview would most likely not be necessary. Read on to learn more about what’s required to obtain a K-1 visa

Personal Meeting Requirement

Before initiating the application process, the U.S. citizen and the fiancé are required to seen eachother or met, in person, within the previous two years before filing their K-1 visa petition.

Filing of the Visa Petition by the U.S. Citizen

The U.S. citizen will initiate the process by filing of visa petition with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services. It is strongly recommended to work with an Arizona immigration attorney to complete this as numerous forms of evidence are required and small mistakes can lead to delays or denials. Fees must also be submitted to USCIS.

Fiancé Applies to the U.S. Consulate or Embassy

The consulate or embassy will then inform the fiancé about the requirements for medical examinations, forms, and documents. Some of these may be specific to the fiancé’s country and can include divorce or death certificates for previous marriages, birth certificates, non-immigrant fiancé visa applications, passport photos, evidence of a fiancé relationship and fees.

Entering the United States

Once the K-1 fiancé visa is approved, the immigrating fiancé needs to present this at an airport, border, or other point of entry to the United States. Admission is never guaranteed at this point. This is why it is important to work with an Arizona immigration attorney to help avoid problems and minimize delays with your case.

If you are looking over these steps and feeling overwhelmed, you’re not alone. It is never easy to go through this process even when you are organized. This is why so many people in your shoes choose to work with an Arizona immigration attorney. Make sure to work directly with an experienced attorney as soon you intend to initiate this process. An attorney who has helped others accomplish this same goal increases the chances that you will be successful.

This blog should be used for informational purposes only. It does not create an attorney-client relationship with any reader and should not be construed as legal advice. If you need legal advice regarding What Are the Steps to Get a K-1 Fiancé Visa?, or other Immigration Law matters,  please feel free to contact Phil D. Ortega at  480.461.5330, log on to udallshumway.com,  or contact an attorney in your area. Udall Shumway PLC is located in Mesa, Arizona and is a full service law firm. We assist Individuals, families, businesses, schools and municipalities in Mesa and the Phoenix/East Valley.