Here are some tips for individuals interested in obtaining permanent residency through marriage. One of the most popular immigration benefits sought after in the United States is that of obtaining permanent resident status. A very common way for an immigrant to obtain a green card is by marrying a U.S. permanent resident or U.S. citizen, but you should know the mechanics involved in making this happen as well as some of the common challenges you might experience.

An Arizona immigration attorney can prove to be of great assistance if you find yourself navigating this complex issues.

Why Fraud Plays Such a Big Part in Immigration and Marriage Issues

USCIS carefully evaluates these marriages to ensure that they are based in good faith and on a genuine relationship to avoid granting legal residency to individuals attempting to defraud the U.S.  Even though you might be legitimately interested in getting married, you have to be aware of the challenges presented by how the government evaluates and vets these cases. While you might be genuine, you need to be prepared for the fact that the government might not interpret your application that way.

Who Has Access to Permanent Residency?

Compared to foreigners that are not related to a U.S. permanent resident or citizen, an immediate relative like a foreign spouse can have easy access to permanent residency. The process for getting a family based green card for a spouse is as follows:

  • Filing a position for alien relative
  • Receiving adjustment of status
  • Getting a visa number for a non-citizen petitioner
  • Filing an affidavit of support submitted by the petitioning spouse
  • Receiving a conditional green card during the two-year marriage requirement

If We Want to Get Married, What Should We Do Next?

Speaking to an Arizona immigration attorney can clear up any questions you might have about the process of obtaining a green card. Even if your marriage is based on a genuine relationship, the high level of scrutiny applied to these marriages can be detrimental if you do not know what to expect. Having an immigration lawyer explain your rights and responsibilities can eliminate the majority of concerns and ensure that you are prepared for this process in full. Get help and advice from an experienced immigration attorney in Arizona as soon as possible.


This blog should be used for informational purposes only. It does not create an attorney-client relationship with any reader and should not be construed as legal advice. If you need legal advice regarding Obtaining Permanent Residency through Marriage or other Immigration Law matters,  please feel free to contact Phil D. Ortega at  480.461.5330, log on to,  or contact an attorney in your area. Udall Shumway PLC is located in Mesa, Arizona and is a full service law firm. We assist Individuals, families, businesses, schools and municipalities in Mesa and the Phoenix/East Valley.