While many people spend a great deal of time and effort to obtain a green card, sometimes it may be necessary to leave. Those who are green card holders must know how to abandon permanent residency status without causing problems. Even though you may decide to leave the country, you could want to return at a later date. It is essential to properly abandon your green card in a way that allows you to return, should you ever choose to do so. Here are the steps on how to abandon permanent residency status.

Reasons to Relinquish Residency

Green card holders may wish to relinquish residency if they no longer want to live in the United States. Green card holders may not want to continue keeping a permanent residence, and may simply want to return home. This can happen for many reasons. For example, you may have relatives in your home country who require your attention, or you could desire to establish a career in your home land. You must provide a legitimate reason for giving up your green card.

Giving Up Your Green Card

When you give up your resident status you need to give up your green card. Your residency will no longer be valid and you will not be entitled to any of the benefits of permanent residency. Additionally, you will no longer be responsible for fulfilling the requirements of keeping your green card status. It is important to understand the current and future consequences of this decision. A qualified immigration lawyer will answer your questions regarding giving up your green card, so that you have a full understanding of your decision.

Submitting Documents

Just like when you applied for permanent residency status, you must also submit the proper paperwork in order to relinquish it. You must provide your green card, also known as an I 551, or permanent resident card. A Form I-407 needs to be filled out and submitted. It requires you to provide the reason why you are giving up residency. If you wish to return to the United States you must submit a Form I-327, a permit to re-enter. These are essential if you ever want to be allowed to come back to the U.S., even as a visitor.

Those who are considering giving up permanent residency in the U.S. may want to discuss the matter with a skilled immigration lawyer. Your attorney will guide you through the process and assist in submitting the necessary forms to ensure a smooth transition.

This blog should be used for informational purposes only. It does not create an attorney-client relationship with any reader and should not be construed as legal advice. If you need legal advice regarding How to Abandon Permanent Residency Status, or other Immigration Law matters, please feel free to contact Phil D. Ortega at  480.461.5330, log on to udallshumway.com,  or contact an attorney in your area. Udall Shumway PLC is located in Mesa, Arizona and is a full service law firm. We assist Individuals, families, businesses, schools and municipalities in Mesa and the Phoenix/East Valley.