A Qualified Immigration Attorney Can Assist You Regarding How to Get a Tourist Visa

Any foreign national who wishes to visit the United States on a temporary basis needs a tourist visa. It is necessary to understand how to get a tourist visa because it is required prior to entering the country. The tourist visa is also called a B-2 visa. The B-2 tourist visa is for temporary visits only. If you want to stay for an extended period of time or work in the U.S. you must obtain a different type of visa.

Tourist Visa Eligibility

A tourist visa is not usually as difficult to obtain as other types of visas. This is because the visa is desired for only a temporary period of time, typically 6 months. The tourist visa is a non-immigrant visa and the applicant is required to return home after their period of time is up. People entering the U.S. for pleasure or for medical treatment are eligible to apply for a tourist visa. Tourists are not allowed to work or attend school while in the United States, however, they are allowed to attend seminars or workshops for which they are not paid.

How to Apply

If you are planning a trip to the United States you will need to apply for a B-2 tourist visa with the U.S. Embassy or Consular office in your country. You should apply well in advance of your trip because the process may take some time to complete. In some instances, a visa waiver may be available if your planned stay is shorter than 90 days. The DS-160 application can be filled out online. Then, you will be required to submit an application fee and will be scheduled for an interview.

Provide Evidence

As part of the application and interview process you must provide evidence of your intentions. You must prove that you are planning a trip for pleasure, tourism, or medical treatment only. The applicant must show that he or she does not intend to remain in the United States for a longer duration and continues to keep a residence in their home country. Those seeking medical treatment should be prepared to provide documents from their physician.

Tourist Visa Extensions

In some cases, a tourist visa extension may be granted. This is possible in some cases where the visa holder is able to prove the need to stay in the United States for a longer period of time. This may be necessary, for example, if medical treatment needs to continue. Those who are requesting tourist visas or extensions must show that they are capable of paying for their expenses while in the United States. Tourist visa extensions can be complex, so it is advisable to speak to an immigration attorney for assistance with the process.

This blog should be used for informational purposes only. It does not create an attorney-client relationship with any reader and should not be construed as legal advice. If you need legal advice regarding How to Get a Tourist Visa, or other Immigration Law matters, please feel free to contact Phil D. Ortega at  480.461.5330, log on to udallshumway.com,  or contact an attorney in your area. Udall Shumway PLC is located in Mesa, Arizona and is a full service law firm. We assist Individuals, families, businesses, schools and municipalities in Mesa and the Phoenix/East Valley.