Prepare for Accidents by Learning About Arizona Auto Insurance Laws
Car accidents happen unexpectedly, and when they do, it is best to be prepared. While nobody can predict when a crash will happen or how serious the consequences will be, it is necessary to carry the proper insurance. Learning about Arizona auto insurance laws can help you understand that Insurance is designed to protect you and your passengers and others from financial distress when an accident causes damages and injuries. Arizona auto insurance laws require drivers to have specific types and amounts of coverage.
Traditional Fault State Insurance
Arizona uses the traditional fault method of determining responsibility in vehicle accidents. When an accident occurs, it will be evaluated and a percentage of fault will be assigned to each party. For example, one driver may be 80% at fault while the other driver is found to be 20% at fault.
Required Insurance for Arizona Drivers
Arizona law requires drivers to carry a minimum amount of liability insurance. Coverage must include at least $15,000 bodily injury liability per person, $30,000 each accident, and $10,000 for property damage.
Liability insurance covers the costs incurred for injuries while property damage pays for repairs to material goods. Minimum insurance requirements do not cover damages to your own vehicle. Collision and comprehensive types of insurance are not necessary but are helpful in protecting your car if it is damaged.
Medical Payments Coverage for Medical Bills
Medical Payments Coverage or Med Pay is insurance that pays for medical bills as the result of an accident, no matter who was determined to be at fault. This type of insurance, while not a legal necessity, is very helpful in making sure that drivers can meet the financial obligations after an accident with injuries. Med Pay coverage can be added to your insurance policy based on your specific requests.
Financial Responsibility of the Driver
The purpose of requiring drivers to carry insurance is to ensure that the financial obligations can be met after an accident. This is typically done by purchasing insurance and providing proof of insurance to the Arizona Motor Vehicles Department, MVD.
When a driver is involved in an accident he may file a claim with his own insurance, file a claim with the at-fault driver’s insurance company, or may file a claim in court. Every accident is different, so it may be best to seek legal assistance from a reputable personal injury attorney before determining how to proceed.
Contact the skilled lawyers at Udall Shumway PLC to schedule a consultation today.
This blog should be used for informational purposes only. It does not create an attorney-client relationship with any reader and should not be construed as legal advice. If you need legal advice regarding Learning About Arizona Auto Insurance Laws, or any other personal injury, please feel free to contact Brian T. Allen at 480.461.5335, log on to udallshumway.com, or contact an attorney in your area. Udall Shumway PLC is located in Mesa, Arizona and is a full service law firm. We assist Individuals, families, businesses, schools and municipalities in Mesa and the Phoenix/East Valley.
Leave A Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.