What are the most common types of visas? Here are some specifics.

There are many different categories of U.S. visas available for immigrants. Many people wonder, what are the most common types of visas and which visa is right for me? The type of visa that is best for you depends on a variety of factors. You need to determine the main reason for the visa. For example, you may want to come to the United States to attend school, for temporary work, or to join your fiancé. Visas are controlled by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services, USCIS, a governmental agency. Visas fall into two main categories including temporary and permanent visas.

Temporary Visas

Temporary visas are for use in a variety of situations. They are commonly used by:

  • Students
  • Visitors
  • Foreign Governmental Officials
  • Professional Workers
  • Exchange Students
  • Fiancés
  • Company Transfers

The main thing to keep in mind about temporary visas is that they are not for use by those who intend to remain in the United States for a lengthy or permanent stay.

Permanent Visas

Permanent visas are also commonly known as green cards. These visas are for use by those who intend to stay in the United States for an extended period of time or on a permanent basis. Permanent visas are for those who do not maintain a residence in another country and will make the United States their home. Some of the most common types of permanent visas include:

  • Family Based Visas
  • Employment Based Visas
  • Diversity Based Visas

Family visas are for children, parents, and spouses of a U. S. citizen. These are likely the most common type of visas provided. There is a preference system in place which first allows unmarried children of U.S. citizens, then spouses or unmarried children of permanent residents, then married children of U.S. citizens, and lastly siblings of U.S. citizens. A family-based petition is necessary to begin the process.

Employment visas are for workers, professionals, researchers, and those with advanced degrees which are in demand in the United States. Other professionals and skilled workers are also eligible for employment visas. Investors and business owners with more than 10 employees and who meet the investment minimums are also eligible for visas. A diversity program is another option for those who meet the specific criteria.

Visas are often complex and it may be difficult to understand which type of visa applies to your situation. For this reason it is helpful to speak with a qualified immigration attorney to answer your questions and assist with the process. Contact the exceptional attorneys at Udall Shumway PLC to discuss your visa options today.

This blog should be used for informational purposes only. It does not create an attorney-client relationship with any reader and should not be construed as legal advice. If you need legal advice regarding What Are the Most Common Types of Visas, or other Immigration Law matters, please feel free to contact Phil D. Ortega at 480.461.5330, log on to udallshumway.com,  or contact an attorney in your area. Udall Shumway PLC is located in Mesa, Arizona and is a full service law firm. We assist Individuals, families, businesses, schools and municipalities in Mesa and the Phoenix/East Valley.