Here Is Some Information Regarding Exchange Student Visas

Many students dream of participating in a student exchange program in order to spend time in the United States. Those who are interested in participating need to learn the basic information for exchange student visas. The process to get a visa can sometimes be lengthy so it is advisable to submit an application as early as possible. Your school will send you confirmation that you have been accepted to a qualifying institution in the United States.

Types of Visas That Are Available

There are two main types of visas that are available for students including the J-1 and F-1 status. The J-1 visa is specifically for exchange visitors while the F-1 visa is for full time students. Generally, those who wish to obtain a J-1 visa must have maintained a residence in their home country for at least two years prior to the visa request. It is advisable to determine the type of visa you require with help from a qualified immigration attorney.

Application and Interview Process Information

The names of the exchange students are submitted for security clearance. The student will receive either an I-20 or DS-2019 form indicating the date of acceptance. Next, the student needs to make an appointment for an interview. The student is responsible for payment of the associated fee.  Students should check with their U.S. Embassy or Consulate office to schedule the interview. Additionally, applicants must complete and submit form DS-160. Bring all forms and payment receipts with you to your interview.

Preparing for the Exchange Student Interview

It is essential that students properly prepare for their interviews. The interviewer will ask questions pertaining to why you want to study in the United States. It is helpful to bring a letter of recommendation from your professor. The interviewer needs to be sure that you want to come to the U.S. to study and not for any other reason. It is also necessary to provide proof of how your financial needs will be met while in the country.

What to Do If Your Visa is Denied

The process of obtaining a student visa is straightforward and most people who apply will be approved. However, sometimes an applicant is denied a visa. When a denial happens it may be because the student has not shown proper intent to return to his home country. If your visa was denied you may appeal the decision. This is best done with the assistance of an experienced immigration lawyer.

If you are in need of further information regarding student visas or need help in submitting an application, contact the skilled legal team at Udall Shumway PLC to discuss your situation.

This blog should be used for informational purposes only. It does not create an attorney-client relationship with any reader and should not be construed as legal advice. If you need legal advice regarding Exchange Student Visas, or other Immigration Law matters, please feel free to contact Phil D. Ortega at 480.461.5330, log on to,  or contact an attorney in your area. Udall Shumway PLC is located in Mesa, Arizona and is a full service law firm. We assist Individuals, families, businesses, schools and municipalities in Mesa and the Phoenix/East Valley.