What to Do When You Need a Renewal or Replacement of Green Cards

A permanent resident card is also called a green card. Once a green card is granted it must be carried with you as proof that you are legally allowed to live and work in the United States. The card also serves as a valid identification document. Green cards expire after a period of time, usually either two years or ten years. It is important to understand the process for the renewal or replacement of green cards.

When to Apply to Renew Your Green Card

Green cards for permanent residents expire after an initial period of ten years. You may apply for renewal within 6 months of expiration. If you are a conditional permanent resident the period of stay expires after two years. You are able to submit a petition to remove the conditions within 6 months of the expiration date on your card.  If your card does not contain an expiration date it is likely older than ten years and requires replacement.

Petition to Remove Conditions on a Green Card

Those who have conditional residency must file a petition to remove the conditions. If your original green card was based on marriage you must file Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence. If your conditional residency was because you were an investor or entrepreneur you will need to submit Form I-829.

Replace a Lost or Damaged Green Card

Green card holders are supposed to keep their card with them at all times. If it is lost or stolen it must be replaced as soon as possible. Remember that you may need to show your card for various reasons and if you do not have it you could be detained. It is also best to replace your permanent resident card if it becomes damaged or unreadable. Also, if you obtained permanent resident status as a young child you are required to replace your card when you reach age 14.

How to Replace a Permanent Resident Card

In order to renew or replace a green card you must complete and submit USCIS, United States Citizenship and Immigration Services, Form I-90. If you fail to apply for renewal before the expiration date you could lose your permanent resident status. If you have questions or need help with the renewal or replacement of your green card you may seek assistance from an immigration attorney. Call the experienced legal team at Udall Shumway PLC to discuss your case today.

This blog should be used for informational purposes only. It does not create an attorney-client relationship with any reader and should not be construed as legal advice. If you need legal advice regarding Renewal or Replacement of Green Cards, or other Immigration Law matters, please feel free to contact Phil D. Ortega at 480.461.5330, log on to udallshumway.com,  or contact an attorney in your area. Udall Shumway PLC is located in Mesa, Arizona and is a full service law firm. We assist Individuals, families, businesses, schools and municipalities in Mesa and the Phoenix/East Valley.