What are the Different Types of Non Immigrant Visas?

The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services, USCIS, offers many types of non immigrant visas to immigrants coming to the United States. There are two main categories of visas including immigrant and nonimmigrant status. Nonimmigrant visas are likely the more common of the two types. There are various reasons for requesting a nonimmigrant visa. The reason for your visit will determine the types of non-immigrant visas that are best suited to your needs.

The Reason for Traveling to the United States

Visas are categorized by letter designation based on their placement in the immigration regulations. The most common category of nonimmigrant visas are B-1 and B-2 visas for travelers. Those seeking a visa must provide documentation regarding the reason or purpose for their travel.

Visitors Seeking United States Visas

Temporary visitors are allowed to visit the U.S. for business, pleasure, or medical treatment. The trip is allowed for only a specific period of time and the applicant must maintain residence in their homeland. Visits may be made for vacation, to spend time with family or friends, or to get medical treatment that is not available in their own country.

Scholars and Foreign Exchange Students

Students may be allowed to study in the United States under an F or M visa. Foreign exchange students come to the country through a program with their school that provides study through a school and residence with a local family. Students who wish to study in the U.S. may generally do so as long as they plan to return to their home country after they complete their studies.

Temporary Workers May Seek Visas

Temporary workers are those who will be in the United States for a short period of time. For example, a doctor may participate in a residency program that allows him to work at a U.S. hospital. Other types of workers are also allowed if they meet criteria and as long as the work is temporary.

Performers and Athletes Require Temporary Visas

Performing artists, athletes, and entertainers may request a temporary immigrant visa. This type of visa is a “P” visa. The performers must meet the requirements to be eligible. In addition, they must provide documentation that proves their need to visit the United States. Applications for temporary visas must be submitted well ahead of the proposed travel dates. The process of applying for visas can be complicated. Contact an experienced immigration lawyer at Udall Shumway PLC to assist you through the procedure.

This blog should be used for informational purposes only. It does not create an attorney-client relationship with any reader and should not be construed as legal advice. If you need legal advice regarding Types of Non Immigrant Visas, or other Immigration Law matters, please feel free to contact Phil D. Ortega at 480.461.5330, log on to udallshumway.com,  or contact an attorney in your area. Udall Shumway PLC is located in Mesa, Arizona and is a full service law firm. We assist Individuals, families, businesses, schools and municipalities in Mesa and the Phoenix/East Valley.