You Will Want to Renew Your Visa before it Expires

The USCIS, United States Citizenship and Immigration Services, provides a number of different types of visas for various reasons. Visas generally have an expiration date that must be strictly followed. It is necessary for you to extend or renew your visa before it expires. The failure to do so could result in losing your status and ability to remain in the United States.

Expiration Dates on Immigration Visas

Different types of visas generally allow for different lengths of stay in the United States. The expiration date is generally listed on your visa document. Many types of visas are valid for a period of two years; however, some have different time frames. You must renew or extend your visa if you wish to stay in the country. This must be done within a specific period of time before the expiration date. Often you cannot renew your visa sooner than 6 months prior to expiration.

How to Renew or Extend Your Visa

In most cases, you must renew your visa by submitting a new application. You must follow the specific directions for an extension, and you will need to provide any required supporting documentation. Not all visas are eligible for an extension. If not, you may need to apply for a different type of visa. An experienced immigration attorney will assist you in determining whether you can remain in the United States for a longer period of time.

Application for Extension of Visa

As with the initial visa application, the extension or renewal is processed after it is submitted. If there are problems with the application it may be returned for revision. For this reason, it is important that you fill out the form properly and include the necessary data. You will be informed of approval or denial. Once the renewal is approved your old visa is usually obsolete. If your renewal is denied, you may be able to appeal the decision.

Staying In the United States

Visas are provided to immigrants for specific reasons. The date of expiration must be strictly followed. If a visa holder stays in the U.S. after the visa expires the person is no longer legally allowed in the country. Deportation, also known as removal, is possible for anyone who is in the United States without proper documentation. If you need to extend your stay in the U.S. consult with the legal team at Udall Shumway PLC for assistance.

This blog should be used for informational purposes only. It does not create an attorney-client relationship with any reader and should not be construed as legal advice. If you need legal advice regarding Renew Your Visa Before It Expires, or other Immigration Law matters, please feel free to contact Phil D. Ortega at 480.461.5330, log on to,  or contact an attorney in your area. Udall Shumway PLC is located in Mesa, Arizona and is a full service law firm. We assist Individuals, families, businesses, schools and municipalities in Mesa and the Phoenix/East Valley.