Here Are Some Qualifications and Important Information about Media Visas

Members of the foreign media are allowed to enter the United States with a special type of visa. There is some important information about media visas that people must be aware of to help them determine their eligibility. A media visa, also known as an I visa, is a type of non-immigrant status visa for those who plan to stay in the U.S. on a temporary basis.

Qualifications for a Media Visa

The media visa is intended for those who are representatives of a bona fide foreign media outlet including the press and radio. The applicant must work for a company with headquarters in a country outside of the United States.

How to Apply for a Media Visa

If you meet the qualifications for a media visa, you need to fill out and submit an application. This is generally completed through the U.S. embassy or consulate located in your country. In some countries, you are allowed to apply online using Form DS-160. In addition to filling out the required information, you must supply a photo that will be used for your visa. It is also necessary to make the required payment. After submitting your application, you must schedule an appointment for an interview with your embassy or consulate.

Provide Proper Documentation to Support Your Application

As part of the application process, you must also submit supporting documentation. You must have a passport that is valid for the time period you intend to stay in the United States. Some locations may require special documentation so you must check before submitting your application. For example, you may need to provide your employment contract or media credentials that prove you are a current member of the media. You will also be required to provide fingerprints.

Entry into the United States

Even with a valid media visa, you must still request permission to enter the United States. The Department of Homeland Security, DHS, in conjunction with U.S. Customs and Border Protection, CBP, will allow or deny your request. Once admitted you will receive a stamp on your form. If you need to extend your stay beyond the date specified on the stamp, you must request an extension. Failure to properly extend your visa could result in it being voided.

Media visas can be complex and applicants may have questions. Consult with the experienced immigration attorneys at Udall Shumway PLC to discuss your situation.

This blog should be used for informational purposes only. It does not create an attorney-client relationship with any reader and should not be construed as legal advice. If you need legal advice regarding Important Information About Media Visas, or other Immigration Law matters, please feel free to contact Phil D. Ortega at 480.461.5330, log on to,  or contact an attorney in your area. Udall Shumway PLC is located in Mesa, Arizona and is a full service law firm. We assist Individuals, families, businesses, schools and municipalities in Mesa and the Phoenix/East Valley.