Obtaining a Green Card through Marriage

A green card is also known as a permanent residency card. A green card allows you to live and work in the United States on a permanent basis. There are various ways to obtain a green card. Family-based green cards are the most common options. Obtaining a green card through marriage is one possibility for those who meet the eligibility requirements.

Eligibility for Green Card through Marriage

In order to apply for a green card you must be the spouse of a United States citizen, or a permanent U.S. resident. The U.S. citizen or permanent resident begins the process by submitting an I-130 petition to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). The person submitting the application is called the sponsor and the spouse is considered the beneficiary. Once the application is filed the beneficiary is placed on a waiting list. The waiting list is managed by the Department of State.

I-130 Petition Application Process

The petition process begins with submitting the application. Once you submit the application, it may take several months to hear back. You will receive a letter providing you with information about the status of your petition. Those awaiting information may be able to check status online through the USCIS website. Your attorney will assist you with the petition process, and can help provide you with the latest wait times.

Prepare for the Interview Meeting

Once your application is accepted, you will receive an informational letter. You will be provided with the date, time, and location of your interview. The interview is a meeting where you provide information and documentation. You and your spouse must both attend the meeting. The meeting is conducted by a representative of the USCIS. During the meeting you will be asked questions and must provide proof of your marriage.

You Must Provide Proof of Marriage

Before you will be granted a green card, you and your spouse must provide proof that you are legitimately married. You cannot simply be married in order to obtain a green card. Bring proof with you to the interview. Proof must include an official copy of your marriage certificate. You should also bring along photos, letters, and other documentation that shows you and your spouse are a real couple. You may also be asked questions about your life together.

The process of obtaining a green card through marriage can be a lengthy one. It is advisable to speak with an immigration attorney before you submit your petition. Contact the experienced lawyers at Udall Shumway PLC to schedule a consultation.

This blog should be used for informational purposes only. It does not create an attorney-client relationship with any reader and should not be construed as legal advice. If you need legal advice regarding Green Card through Marriage, or other Immigration Law matters, please feel free to contact Phil D. Ortega at 480.461.5330, log on to udallshumway.com,  or contact an attorney in your area. Udall Shumway PLC is located in Mesa, Arizona and is a full service law firm. We assist Individuals, families, businesses, schools and municipalities in Mesa and the Phoenix/East Valley.