How Can I Request Spousal Support?

Spousal support is money given from one spouse to the other during or following a divorce. Support is also commonly called spousal maintenance or alimony.  When a couple decides to end their marriage, one or the other spouse may ask, how can I request spousal support? Payments to a spouse are not automatically provided. Maintenance can be made part of the court order if it is warranted.

Common Types of Spousal Support

Even within a case, it could be that a person is qualified for only temporary spousal maintenance.  That is, support that is payable only while the divorce is pending.  Still other spouses may be qualified for long-term spousal maintenance or at least maintenance that extends beyond the finality of the divorce.

Temporary Support for the Interim Period

Temporary support is also sometimes called bridge-the-gap support. It is often used to assist one partner while the couple is going through the transition of divorcing. In some cases, the spouse may need to return to school or take a refresher course before returning to work. This type of payment is commonly provided when one parent was not working. He or she may have been a stay-at-home parent. Now, the spouse will prepare to work, but will need money in the meantime.

Support after the Divorce is Finalized

Sometimes a spouse needs financial support after the divorce is finalized. This is most often the case in situations where one spouse did not work for a long period of time, or when the marriage lasted a long time. Payments usually end if the spouse later remarries.

Requesting Support during a Divorce

If you need supplemental money during or after your divorce, you must request it as part of the divorce process. The judge will review detailed information from both parties, including the amount of money you earn, your age and health, your ability to work, and your standard of living, among other things. A formal determination will then be made part of the divorce order.

The divorce process can be difficult and complex. You don’t need to go it alone. Count on the compassionate legal team at Udall Shumway PLC to protect your rights and guide you through your divorce. Call us today to schedule a consultation.

This blog should be used for informational purposes only. It does not create an attorney-client relationship with any reader and should not be construed as legal advice. If you need legal advice regarding Request Spousal Support, or other family law issues, please feel free to contact Barry C. Dickerson at 480.461.5300, log on to, or contact an attorney in your area. Udall Shumway PLC is located in Mesa, Arizona and is a full service law firm. We assist Individuals, families, businesses, schools, and municipalities in Mesa and the Phoenix/East Valley.