What Are Temporary Worker Visas

The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) provide an option for nonimmigrants who wish to live and work in the U.S. on a temporary basis, and there are various types of employment opportunities for temporary workers. Temporary worker visas are provided for those who meet the qualifications. One type of these work permits is called the H-1B visa.

Seasonal Temporary Employment for Workers

Seasonal employment is available for temporary workers. Some of the most common types of seasonal jobs include work in landscaping, farming, resorts, cruises, carnivals, and construction, among others. These jobs are considered temporary because they may not be available for the entire year. Some companies simply experience a need for seasonal workers.

Many Types of Temporary Worker Classifications

While seasonal types of employment are common, there are other jobs that classify for temporary work in the United States. Some of these include investors, trainees, nurses, specialty occupations, intra-company transfers with special knowledge, entertainers, religious workers, artists, and NAFTA professionals. If you are part of a particular profession and wish to work in the United States, you may qualify as a temporary nonimmigrant worker.

Temporary Workers Must Leave When the Job is Done

Temporary workers with visas must return to their homelands when their employment ends. The visa is only valid for the duration of the temporary job. Workers who remain in the U.S. after their job is done and their visa expires are no longer authorized. This means that they could be subject to immediate removal.

Extension of Temporary Nonimmigrant Visas

If your work is extended, you may be able to request an extension of your visa. Applicants must meet the requirements and must provide the necessary documentation. Nonimmigrant workers must prove that they maintain a residence in their homeland, and that they intend to return after the job is over.

Obtaining a Temporary Worker Visa

Most temporary workers must first have an employment offer before they can be considered for a visa. The applicant must meet the current criteria and submit the requested documentation along with the application. The worker must also show that the employment is only temporary. If granted, the visa will be valid for a specific period of time. After the job ends, or when the visa expires, the worker must leave the United States.

Temporary worker visas may be complex. Review the criteria and qualifications with an immigration attorney to determine whether you qualify. Contact the experienced lawyers at Udall Shumway PLC to schedule a consultation.

This blog should be used for informational purposes only. It does not create an attorney-client relationship with any reader and should not be construed as legal advice. If you need legal advice regarding Temporary Worker Visas, or other Immigration Law matters, please feel free to contact Phil D. Ortega at 480.461.5330, log on to udallshumway.com,  or contact an attorney in your area. Udall Shumway PLC is located in Mesa, Arizona and is a full service law firm. We assist Individuals, families, businesses, schools and municipalities in Mesa and the Phoenix/East Valley.