L-1 Visas or Intra-Company Transfer Visas

The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) offer a wide variety of visas to cover a broad range of options. L-1 visas are also called intra-company transfer visas. They are specifically designed for employers who want to  transfer employees temporarily to an office located in the United States. There are a number of rules and guidelines that apply to the L-1 visa.

Two Types of L-1 Visas

There are two main types of L-1 visas available. L-1A visas are for those who are employed as managers or executives. L-1B visas are for those employees who possess specialized knowledge in a specific area of need. Employers must have a parent company, branch, or subsidiary where the employee was employed abroad.

Employee Dependants May Apply for L-1 Visas

Employees are naturally concerned about bringing their immediate families with them when they work in the U.S. Dependants of those with L-1 visas are able to apply for L-1 visas of their own. Dependants include spouses and unmarried children under the age of 21. Spouses may apply for work authorization so they may become employed while in the country. Additionally, a dependent child may attend school while here on an L-2 visa.

Blanket L-1 Visas Are Available

Companies with a need may be allowed to submit a blanket petition rather than filing for a standard L-1 visa each time one is required. The USCIS will determine whether a company qualifies for a blanket visa upon request. Companies who have the need for frequent intra-company transfers to the United States should review the specific requirements with an attorney before filing an application.

Help from an Experienced Immigration Attorney

Companies that wish to transfer employees between branches abroad and the United States may need to obtain L-1 visas. Consult with an immigration lawyer to learn the available options for your company. Contact the legal team at Udall Shumway PLC to schedule a consultation today.

This blog should be used for informational purposes only. It does not create an attorney-client relationship with any reader and should not be construed as legal advice. If you need legal advice regarding L-1 Visas, or other Immigration Law matters, please feel free to contact Phil D. Ortega at 480.461.5330, log on to udallshumway.com,  or contact an attorney in your area. Udall Shumway PLC is located in Mesa, Arizona and is a full service law firm. We assist Individuals, families, businesses, schools and municipalities in Mesa and the Phoenix/East Valley.