Who May Apply for an Adjustment of Immigration Status?

An adjustment of immigration status is a process designed to help immigrants change their status to that of permanent legal resident. Many people wonder who may apply for an adjustment of status. The adjustment of status is specifically for those who meet the criteria to obtain a green card. There are some important eligibility requirements that must be met before an application can be submitted.

What is an Adjustment of Status?

An adjustment of status allows immigrants with temporary status to change their status to that of permanent resident. A permanent resident is also called a green card holder. Permanent residency allows immigrants similar protections and rights as citizens. It is more advantageous to obtain a green card because it allows you to live and work in the United States.

 Eligibility Requirements for an Adjustment of Status

Not everyone meets the criteria to apply for an adjustment of status. The applicant must be eligible to apply for a green card, and must also be eligible to apply while living in the United States. Those who came into the United States without being adequately processed must use consular processing instead. Consular processing is done through the immigrant’s homeland consular office and the applicant must be located in their homeland in order to apply.

Criteria That Must Be Met for a Green Card

In order to obtain a green card, or an adjustment of status, the applicant must meet specific criteria.

  • Must be eligible through family, employment, or job offer
  • Have an approved immigrant petition
  • Be legally allowed in the United States
  • Have a valid immigrant visa

If you meet these requirements you are allowed to submit a petition for an adjustment of status.

Help with the Application Process

The immigration procedures can be difficult to understand. There are many requirements that need to be met before you can submit an application to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Before you submit an application it is helpful to meet with an experienced immigration attorney to make sure that you meet the requirements. The process may take several months or more, so you should submit your application in advance of the end of your current status.

The legal team at Udall Shumway PLC is highly experienced in immigration matters. We handle even the most complex of situations. Contact the lawyers at Udall Shumway PLC today to schedule a consultation.

This blog should be used for informational purposes only. It does not create an attorney-client relationship with any reader and should not be construed as legal advice. If you need legal advice regarding Adjustment of Immigration Status, or other Immigration Law matters, please feel free to contact Phil D. Ortega at 480.461.5330, log on to udallshumway.com,  or contact an attorney in your area. Udall Shumway PLC is located in Mesa, Arizona and is a full service law firm. We assist Individuals, families, businesses, schools and municipalities in Mesa and the Phoenix/East Valley.