Here are Four Steps for Obtaining Fiance’ Visas

People in love are often separated because of immigration issues. One spouse may live in another country, while the other is a resident of the United States. As an engaged couple, a fiancé is able to apply for a visa, allowing you to enter the United States to be married. There are several steps for obtaining fiance’ visas. It is also known as a K-1 fiancé visa.

Requirements for a Fiancé Visa

To be eligible to apply for a K-1 visa, you must intend to enter the United States to get married to a U.S. citizen. Generally, you must have known your fiancé for a period of no less than 2 years, and you must be legally able to get married. You must be able to prove each of these eligibility requirements sufficiently, or your request for a visa may be denied.

Fiancé Visa vs. Marriage-Based Visa

In some instances, a marriage-based visa may be preferable to a fiancé visa. For example, a fiancé visa requires you to adjust your status at a later date. If you marry first, you will be able to apply for a visa based on marriage, which is a more permanent solution. If you do not intend to reside in the United States, a fiancé visa is often the best option.

How to Prove Your Eligibility

You must take steps to prove your eligibility for a fiancé visa. The most important proof is that you and your fiancé are a real couple. The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) must be certain that you are not using the visa simply as a way to enter the country. To prove this you must use letters, emails, or other correspondence to show that you two have known each other for two years. In some cases, it is advisable to travel at least once to have met your fiancé, particularly if you met online.

Information about the K-1 Visa

The fiancé visa requires that you get married within 90 days of entering the United States. If you are planning to return to your homeland immediately after your wedding, you could obtain a tourist visa instead. A tourist visa is typically easier to get; however, if you later choose to apply for a green card, it could be denied because you used the wrong type of visa to enter the country. Plan to apply for a visa at least several or more months in advance of your planned travel.

You may have many questions and concerns about obtaining a visa before entering the United States. Call the experienced lawyers at Udall Shumway PLC to learn more.

This blog should be used for informational purposes only. It does not create an attorney-client relationship with any reader and should not be construed as legal advice. If you need legal advice regarding Steps for Obtaining Finace’ Visas, or other Immigration Law matters, please feel free to contact Phil D. Ortega at 480.461.5330, log on to,  or contact an attorney in your area. Udall Shumway PLC is located in Mesa, Arizona and is a full service law firm. We assist Individuals, families, businesses, schools and municipalities in Mesa and the Phoenix/East Valley.