Types of Visas – Which is best for you?

Getting a visa is one of the most important things that a prospective immigrant can do. The visa process can seem overwhelming to some people because there are many different types of visas that are available. Many people wonder, with so many types of visas, which is best for you? It can be helpful to discuss your immigration options with a qualified attorney before you begin the application process.

Temporary Visas for Tourists

Those who wish to come to the United States to visit may get a temporary tourist visa. The B1 visa is for people coming to the country on vacation or for pleasure. B2 visas are for people who need to visit the U.S. for business. Temporary visas are also utilized for those seeking temporary medical treatment.

Student Visas for Those Studying in the United States

Students, tourists, and those who plan to visit the United States for only a short time may qualify for a temporary visa. These types of visas allow you to enter the U.S. and then return to your homeland. Students may qualify for an F-1 visa or M-1 visa, depending on your area of study. You must have been accepted to an approved educational program before filing for a visa. Students are not allowed to work while in the country, and the visa is valid only for the duration of study.

U.S. Visas for Temporary Workers

Temporary work visas are available to people who wish to work in the United States, but do not plan to remain in the country. The most common of these visas is the H visa. There are various types including H1B for those who work in specific occupations, H2A for temporary agricultural workers, H2B for seasonal employment, and H3 for professional interns and trainees. Additionally, O visas are for those with acclaim in areas of arts, sciences, or education, and P visas are for entertainers and athletes.

Green Cards for Permanent Residents

Immigrants who wish to relocate the United States permanently should seek a permanent resident card, also called a green card. The requirements for obtaining a green card are more stringent than for temporary types of visas. It is important to note that the laws regarding immigration continue to change. Check with an experienced immigration attorney to assist in determining which type of visa is the best for you.

Call the lawyers at Udall Shumway PLC to review your visa needs.

This blog should be used for informational purposes only. It does not create an attorney-client relationship with any reader and should not be construed as legal advice. If you need legal advice regarding Types of Visas, or other Immigration Law matters, please feel free to contact Phil D. Ortega at 480.461.5330, log on to udallshumway.com,  or contact an attorney in your area. Udall Shumway PLC is located in Mesa, Arizona and is a full service law firm. We assist Individuals, families, businesses, schools and municipalities in Mesa and the Phoenix/East Valley.