What is a Conditional Resident Card?

Immigrants who wish to live and work in the United States are required to obtain a green card. A green card, also known as a permanent resident card, allows you to reside in the U.S. You may wonder, what is a conditional resident card? This is the status you will receive on a temporary basis when you obtain a green card through marriage. After a period of time, you may be eligible to become a permanent green card holder.

Removing Conditions with a Status Adjustment

Conditional resident cards are typically valid only for a period of time, often two years. After this time period, your visa expires, and is no longer valid. In order to avoid this problem, you must adjust the status of your visa before your visa expires. In order to adjust your status, you must file a petition and provide the necessary documentation to prove your status.

Petition to Remove Conditions of Residence

You and your spouse must file a petition together to remove conditions of residence. Form I-751 should be submitted within 90 days of the expiration date on your visa. The visa generally expires two years from your date of arrival in the United States. If you fail to apply in time, your visa may expire and you could be eligible for deportation.

Do Not Allow Your Visa to Expire

It is extremely important that you do not allow your temporary visa to expire. Once it does, it can be difficult to resolve the problem. You may be required to leave the country until you can regain a visa. It can be a long process because you will need to submit a new application and wait the appropriate time while it is approved. Approval of a new visa is not automatic, and could prevent you from returning to America.

Assistance from a Qualified Immigration Attorney

The immigration process can be confusing. The laws and guidelines regarding entry to the United States continue to change. For these reasons, it is often helpful to seek guidance from an immigration lawyer before submitting a visa application. Your attorney will review your situation and help determine how to complete the process. Your lawyer will also help in resolving any problems that arise during the procedure.

Call the experienced legal team at Udall Shumway PLC to schedule a consultation to discuss your immigration issues.

This blog should be used for informational purposes only. It does not create an attorney-client relationship with any reader and should not be construed as legal advice. If you need legal advice regarding Conditional Resident Card, or other Immigration Law matters, please feel free to contact Phil D. Ortega at 480.461.5330, log on to udallshumway.com,  or contact an attorney in your area. Udall Shumway PLC is located in Mesa, Arizona and is a full service law firm. We assist Individuals, families, businesses, schools and municipalities in Mesa and the Phoenix/East Valley.