4 Steps to Proper U.S. Re-entry After Deportation

The United States is an attractive place to live and work. As a result, thousands of people are turned away from the borders – with countless more being removed from within the country itself. Once deported, the aspiring United States citizen who wants a green card needs to understand the proper steps for re-admission into the United States. Proper U.S. re-entry after deportation is critical.

It’s worth keeping in mind that anyone who has been removed from the United States is likely to have to wait for intervals of five, ten, or twenty years before re-entry. Even at this point, re-entry into the United States is never guaranteed. For the waiting period, you’re “inadmissible” after being removed. A Udall Shumway PLC Criminal Attorney can help reduce this waiting period.

4 Steps to Re-Entering the United States

Don’t try to navigate complex United States immigration law without reviewing the following steps:

1. Get a Knowledgeable Immigration Lawyer

Once deported, the process of getting back into the United States is lengthy, complicated, and often expensive. You’ll need to hire a good lawyer to mitigate these challenges. If a crime has been committed, then a Mesa, AZ Criminal Defense Lawyer can help.

Having an experienced immigration attorney on your side will ensure the correct documentation is ready and your case has the best possible chance of being accepted by immigration services.

2. Request for Re-entry Form I-212

First, file USCIS form I-212. This will be accompanied by supporting documentation and a monetary fee. You are entitled to ask the US government for permission to apply for admission before the stated inadmissible period comes to an end.

In this form, you’ll need to demonstrate factors in your favor that suggest you have a case for being allowed to re-enter the United States. Examples might be that you have family ties in the US, or you have good character and are responsible for your family.

If you leave the United States voluntarily rather than being deported, you do not need to file petition I-212.

3. Form I-601: Waiver of Inadmissibility

If you’re inadmissible to the United States, you may need to submit the USCIS form I-601 alongside your re-entry application. The grounds on which you were removed will affect this part of the application for visa.

4. Awaiting the Decision

While it may seem obvious, one of the most important parts of the process is the part where you do the least. Waiting for the application to be rejected or approved is long and emotionally strenuous, but it’s imperative you exercise patience. During this time, you should not break the law by entering the United States again illegally, which could jeopardize your case. Wait for your official re-entry permit.

Once a decision has been made, you’ll be notified by your chosen method of contact by the US immigration services.

Following these steps before attempting to re-enter the United States will ensure you’re able to enter legally – without having to worry about your visa being rejected and your removal order being reinstated.

This blog should be used for informational purposes only. It does not create an attorney-client relationship with any reader and should not be construed as legal advice. If you need legal advice regarding Re-Entry After Deportation, or other Immigration Law matters, please feel free to contact Phil D. Ortega at 480.461.5330, log on to udallshumway.com,  or contact an attorney in your area. Udall Shumway PLC is located in Mesa, Arizona and is a full service law firm. We assist Individuals, families, businesses, schools and municipalities in Mesa and the Phoenix/East Valley.