Michael Kielsky joined Udall Shumway PLC in 2016. Mr. Kielsky is a 1984 graduate of Grand Canyon University, in Phoenix, holding a Bachelor of Science in Computer Science.
For 15 years, Mr. Kielsky was employed in a variety of roles in technology, including Software Engineer, Business Analyst, and Manager of Engineering, at well-known companies in industries such as aerospace, communications, defense, finance, and technology.
In 1999, seeking new challenges, and due to his long-running interest in law, Mr. Kielsky began on a path to his second career, enrolling in law school on an academic scholarship. Even with completing law school on an accelerated track in just 2 ½ years, Mr. Kielsky graduated Summa Cum Laude and first in his class, receiving his Juris Doctorate in 2001 from Thomas Jefferson School of Law in San Diego, California.
Mr. Kielsky is a litigator focused on criminal defense, DUI defense, and traffic tickets, including photo radar. Additionally, Mr. Kielsky represents victims of crimes navigating the criminal justice system, as well as clients in administrative hearings before boards and administrative law judges, and in protective order matters. Mr. Kielsky has also represented clients in several high-profile election law matters.
Mr. Kielsky has developed a reputation for challenging photo radar citations, and has taught numerous Continuing Legal Education classes to other lawyers on the practical and legal foundations to achieving success in such cases.
Mr. Kielsky also has experience in family law, civil litigation, landlord/tenant disputes, and consumer law.
Active in politics when not busy helping clients, Mr. Kielsky was Chairman of the Arizona Libertarian Party, Arizona’s third-largest party, and has been a candidate for office, running for US Congress in 2004, and for Maricopa County Attorney in 2008, 2010, 2012, and for the State House in 2014.
Mr. Kielsky was born in Germany, and moved to Phoenix in his high school years. He enjoys playing recreational soccer, often playing on co-ed teams with his wife, Rachel.
- Administrative Law
- Criminal Defense
- DUI and DWI
- Protective Orders
- Traffic Tickets and Photo Radar
- J.D., Thomas Jefferson School of Law, San Diego, 2001 (summa cum laude, Law Review)
- B.S., Grand Canyon University, 1984 (Computer Science)
- Glendale Judicial Advisory Board – 2019-2022
- Avondale Judicial Advisory Board – 2019-2021
- Arizona Libertarian Party – Officer since 2003, Chairman from 2005-2010; 2015-2017
- Candidate for Maricopa County Attorney, 2008, 2010, 2012
- Candidate for U.S. Congress, Arizona CD 5, 2004
- Generations After, Descendants of Holocaust Survivors in Greater Phoenix, Board Member, 2013-2018
- Tri-City (East Valley) JCC – Board Member, 2003-2004
- Community Legal Services – Board Member, 2016 – current; Executive Committee, 2018; Vice President, June 2020 – current
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
- State Bar of Arizona, 2006
- State Bar of California, 2006
- United States District Court, District of Arizona, 2007
- United States Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, 2019
- Pima Maricopa Indian Community Court, 2019
Professional & Bar Association Memberships
- East Valley Bar Association – President, 2016-now, 2011-2014; Vice President, 2014-2015
- Maricopa County Bar Association – Board Member/Director, 2012-2018
- Technology Committee, State Bar of Arizona – Member, 2012-2016
- Lawyer Referral Service Committee, Maricopa County Bar Association – 2012-2017
- State Bar of Arizona Certified CLE Presenter since 2014
- 10.0 AVVO Rating, with over 131 reviews and over 50 endorsements
Awards and Recognitions
- AV Preeminent™, Martindale-Hubbell, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
- Client Champion Platinum Distinction, Martindale-Hubbell, 2019
- AV Preeminent™, Judicial Edition, Martindale-Hubbell, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
- Clients’ Choice Award, Avvo.com, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
- Rated AV® Preeminent™ (Highest Possible Rating), Lawyers.com, 2016, 2018, 2019
- Top-Rated Lawyer, Avvo.com, 2017, 2018, 2019
- Client Champion Gold Distinction, Martindale-Hubbell, 2018
- Client Champion Silver Distinction, Martindale-Hubbell, 2017
- Top Contributor Award, Avvo.com, 2012, 2013, 2014
- Superb Rated Attorney Award, Avvo.com, 2013, 2014
- Top Valley Lawyers, North Valley Magazine, 2014
- America’s Most Honored Professionals, The American Registry, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
- Top 100 Criminal Defense Lawyers in Arizona, American Society of Legal Advocates, 2015