1138 North Alma School Road
Mesa, Arizona 85201
Barry Dickerson is an Arizona native. He joined Udall Shumway PLC in 1975, and is in his 45th year of practicing law. Mr. Dickerson devotes his practice to all aspects of family law litigation.
Mr. Dickerson is certified by the State Bar of Arizona as a specialist in Family Law and has practiced in this area of law for more than 44 years. Mr. Dickerson routinely handles matters involving all aspects of child custody, paternity, relocation and interstate custody issues under the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act (UCCJEA), child and spousal support issues, cases with issues of complex valuation and division of property, assets and debts.
Guardianship and Conservatorship
Mr. Dickerson also practices in the area of guardianships and conservatorships for minors and adults. This includes initiating the proceeding, complying with annual court filings, litigation issues and termination. Because of Mr. Dickerson’s experience as a probate and trial attorney, he is often asked to assist in these types of cases when litigation is required.
- J.D., University of Arizona College of Law, 1975
- B.A., Brigham Young University, 1972 (History major with minor in Spanish)
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
- State of Arizona and Arizona Federal District Court, 1975
- United States Supreme Court, 1981
- Maricopa County Bar
- East Valley Bar, President (1981-1982)
- State Bar of Arizona
- Arizona Board Certified Family Law Specialist (Member Since 1999)
- Arizona Superior Court Judge Pro Tem (Member Since 1994)
Mr. Dickerson has served as a judge pro tem for the Arizona Superior Court in Maricopa County, primarily in family law cases. Further, as an adjunct to his responsibilities as a judge pro tem he has served as a settlement judge for the Alternate Dispute Resolution (ADR) office of the Maricopa County Court.
- Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory – AV rated (highest competency/ethical standard)
- Phi Alpha Delta legal fraternity
- AVVO Rating 10
- Southwest Super Lawyers (2013-2019)
- Managing partner for 4 years
- Member of firm management committee for 12 years
- Trustee of firm pension and profit sharing plan, 401(k) and retirement management
- Member of the Sertoma Club of Mesa since 1979. President of the club from 1984 to 1985 and 2009 to 2010. Has served and continues to serve either as an officer or Board member of this service club.
- Mr. Dickerson has further been and continues to be involved as an adult leader in the Boy Scouts of America on the District and council level. He has served on the staff of many Wood Badge training courses, including course director, and has served as a Wood Badge Coordinator for the Grand Canyon Council, He has served as an assistant Scoutmaster for a council contingent troop which attended the 2010 National Jamboree in Fort A. P. Hill, Virginia, and as Scoutmaster for another council contingent troop which attended the 2013 National Jamboree at the Summit in West Virginia. He further served on staff as a Commissioner at the 2017 National Jamboree under the direction of the BSA National Commissioner, Charles Dahlquist. Mr. Dickerson also served on staff at the 2019 World Jamboree which was held at the Summit in West Virginia. He continues to serve on Council, District, and unit committees for the Grand Canyon Council. He is the recipient of many leadership awards for his service to youth, including the prestigious Silver Beaver award which is the highest recognition given to adult Scout volunteers in the Grand Canyon Council.